Monday, July 24, 2006

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are...in my head.

Greetings readers!
It has been awhile since I have updated. It was a busy but extremely enjoyable weekend, meaning I haven't been near a computer. Here is a brief synopsis of my Friday, Saturday and Sunday:

Friday
I went to Edmonton's Capital Ex fair, which is similar to the Calgary Stampede. There was all the usual fair fare (ha!) here, such as rides, midway, entertainers, exhibits and such. I indulged in ice cream and mini donuts, which seem to be a requisite at fairs (much to the chagrin of my diet). Happily I was able to pass by the elephant ears and corn dogs (gross).
One of my favourite exhibits was put on by the Art Gallery of Alberta who had some amazing art displays. Later I tried my hand at a couple midway games (you know the ones where you end up spending $35 on a $2 stuffed animal). Near the end of the night I went to see the rock band Default play. I'm not the hugest fan of the whole Theory of a NickelDefault sound, but they put on a suprisingly good show. The night was finished off with a fireworks display. I don't care how old I get, I still appreciate fireworks as if I was 8.

Saturday
Up early at 8am to go to the Edmonton Grand Prix, featuring the Champ car racing circuit. The track was set up at the Edmonton airport and is quite a major event; attendance was 170,391 people for the three days at the JAGflo speedway. Things were quite expensive here, examples: $3 for water, $10 for programs, $6 for beer. Luckily I scored a corporate pass from a friend, and got to sit in the Rexall corporate suite where all drinks (including alcohol), programs, and food (put on by Sawmill, one of the nicer restaurants in Edmonton) were free. Seeing as how a normal ticket in the grandstands was $235 for the 3-day event, I shudder to think how much my ticket cost.
Friday was a hot day and Saturday was a scorcher as well, with the temperature at 35 degrees Celsius in the stands and hovering between 40 and 46 at points on the track. I consumed copious amounts of water, and am now sporting a nice red lobster "tan".
As for the specs on the actual Champ cars themselves: these amazing machines sport a turbocharged 2.65 L V8 engine putting out around 750 horsepower in a chassis that comes in at just over 1500lbs. The result is top speeds of approximately 240mph (390km). The price tag on these setups? It takes about $2 million to get into the Champ Car World Series, however many top flight teams spend from $5 million to $10 million annually. They put on a great show, and are one of those things that might seem boring on TV, but are extremely interesting/entertaining in person.
Another highlight was getting to finally see 54/40, who played at the Grand Prix. They are one of those bands that have been around forever, and you recognize almost all of their songs when you hear them on the radio. They put off some great energy and charisma and seem to have the live concert down pat.

Sunday
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't."
"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions".

This is the event that I have been looking forward to all summer: Shakespeare in the Park. The festival takes place in the 1,100 seat Heritage Amphitheatre in Hawrelak Park, and this year they were performing Taming of the Shrew and Hamlet (I was attending the showing of the latter). The design of the stage and the venue means that the audience is in close proximity to the performers, who at times used the areas surrounding the audience. I thought this gave those of us watching a feeling of being contiguous with the play. These were all professional actors, and it showed, as everything was top notch. If you ever want the chance to enjoy some wholesome Elizabethan jokes or gruesome killings under the stars, I would highly recommend catching this next year.

As for me, I'm thoroughly worn out from all of this excitement. Off to bed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home