Friday, July 28, 2006

The Corporation

Behind the scenes at "The Corporation":

............................................


............................................

The interview:


*Disclaimer: The above cartoon should be considered fiction or hearsay and is presented solely for it's entertainment value to my readers. Any resemblance to any real people, companies, or events is purely coincidental.

--------------------------------------------

Tales of a Statistics Canada Enumerator...Part II

My days as an Enumator are now over. No, it was not a happy parting either; I quit the job. My reason was this: essentially many things I was told about the job in the interview were completely wrong/not true. Here is a sampling of the falsities that I encounterd:

Person interviewing me: the job will go until August 31, with the possibility that some employees may be retained later than that.
Subsequent truth: we are told during training that they are hoping to be entirely finished by August 1, and that the last possible day anyone would be working (i.e. it is over, pull the plug) would be August 15.

Interviewer: you will be working in the area that you live in.
Subsequent truth: all of my assignments were no where near where I live. My first assignment was a 15 minute drive from my place of residence.

Interviewer: your group leader will pick up your assignments and drop off new ones from your place of residence each day.
Subsequent truth: our group leader informs us that we are to meet him in the Wal Mart parking lot to exchange these materials (a 15 minute drive for me).

Interviewer: while you may have more success in catching people at home during some hours, the times that you work are set by you, as long as you work a minimum of 30 hours each week.
Subsequent truth: our group leader informs us that we are all to meet up with him at said Wal Mart parking lot each night at 5pm to start work, and then meet back there with him at 9:30pm.
So instead of individually determining our hours, we are to work 5-9:30 everyday.

I was not the only person misled in these things; the 11 people that I had training with were all told the same things during their interviews. Ones that I talked to were not happy about being misled.

On my first day when myself and about 15 others met our group leader in the Wal Mart parking lot some of us expressed dismay to him that we didn't feel properly trained to complete our tasks. Our training was about 2.5 hours long, a good portion of which consisted in filling out employment forms and our banking information so that we could be paid. He informed us that the regular training for our job is 2 days long, but since Statistics Canada was behind and in a rush to finish collecting all of the outstanding census forms, they did a mass-hiring of people, followed by a brief and extremely condensed training. WONDERFUL.

If this governmental organization is so disorganized in regards to their hiring and handling of their employees, how can I be sure that they will not do the same with my confidential and personal information that I filled out on my census form?

And it looks like my district is not the only one with problems:

This Vancouver Sun article talks about the opinions of some people that the census collection was disorganized and a 'screw-up'.

This former census enumerator talks about the abysmal pay system and how she was shorted on her pay.

Hmmm, could this be the same government that 'handled' the gun registry?

*Disclaimer: In regards to the above comments, I should point out that truth is a complete defence to liability in defamation. A person is always permitted to speak the truth about another, and that is what I have done above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home