Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Mikeondolences on your heat stroke

In another post I previously documented last weekend, a.k.a. 'The Weekend of Fun'. However, not quite everything that weekend was full of jolly and merriment. The following is one grievance I had:

Imagine me on Friday at the Capital Ex fair. Then imagine temperatures in the low to mid 30's, and being outside for hours with not much shade. In this crazy flatland known as Edmonton, the sun doesn't set until quite late, and it really doesn't cool off much at night.
So in such temperature you can surmise that water would be an important asset to have. Anyone knows that on hot days when partaking in outdoor activities, it is essential to drink plenty of fluids.
So logically vendors at Capital Ex are charging $3.00 for one 500ml bottle of water (at least double the regular price).
Whatever. I know that as demand or need for something increases prices rise. And I also know that when you are a 'captive audience' in a closed off space such as a fair or a movie theatre to expect exorbitant prices for food and drinks. Going to such places, most everyone knows these things and can plan ahead for them.
However, I definitely did not expect the following circumstances...

During the day I was there the rock band Default was playing a concert. I decided to attend said concert. At this time temperatures are close to mid 30's and I am almost reduced to a puddle of sweat. A day in the direct sunshine had me feeling quite dehydrated. So I shell out my $3 to the vendor for a bottle of liquid gold (a.k.a. water) and get in line for the concert which is in a fenced off portion in one area of the Capital Ex fair. When I get to the front of the line and ready to enter the proceedings a security guard informs me that "you can't take any bottles in with you!"
Excuse me? Mid-30 temps in the scorching sun, and you are telling me that I can't bring the overpriced water that I just paid for from a Capital Ex vendor into a Capital Ex event?
She won't budge, so I take a few gulps of water and throw the remainder into the trash bucket near the entrance.
I walk through the entrance and what do I see immediately to my left? Yes, a Capital Ex vendor selling beverages, including $3 bottled water. So let me see, Capital Ex gates off an area so they can have a fair, within which they sell overpriced water. But then inside of this fenced-off area they have another fenced-off area within which you can't bring your overpriced water from the previous area, but you can buy a whole new bottle of overpriced water. To me that sounds crazier than snakes on a plane.
I would think on such a hot day the fair would be wanting to encourage hydration and drinking as many fluids as possible, in order to avoid dehydration or even sunstroke of their patrons. Yet instead it appears their only concern is squeezing as much money as possible out of the attendees to their fair.

As a contrast, the next day I attended a 54/40 concert on the grounds of the Edmonton Grand Prix. It had a similar setup, in that there was a fenced-off area within which the concert was taking place. The only difference was that there was no inane restrictions on bringing water into the event. I had a bottle of water in each hand upon entering the concert. In fact, the lead singer of 54/40 reminded the crowd a few times to make sure and have something to drink because of the heat.
See the difference? The coordinators of one event seem to be more concerned with the well-being of their customers, while the other seems to be concerned only with making another buck.

And if you are still left with any doubt as to what I say, 7 out of 9 scienticians agree with the above statements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home