Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Notes from the underground

Much apologies for the lack of updates recently. I am currently on holidays in Kelowna, and my internet access has been sparse to non-existent.

Which makes a person realize how dependent they can become upon technology in their lives. How often do you use your cell phone or send an email? I can't remember the last time I had to do something as egregiously inconvenient as writing a letter, procuring a stamp, and taking it to a mailbox to be delivered (then to have to wait days or weeks for it to arrive to the sender).

Remember when you were a child and received a letter? It seemed like an exciting experience. Some important ones would be folded and unfolded numerous times, held in your hands, and read over and over. If it was a love letter you might smell it to see if you could pick up a scent from the person who sent it to you. Are the youth nowadays missing out on this? You would think that E-mail, like the Internet is fairly transient. Most people don't save messages for years, unlike how I probably still have some of those letters tucked away in my dresser somewhere.

Homework task for this week: take out a pen, a crisp sheet of paper, and write a letter to someone. They will most likely appreciate the gesture.

2 Comments:

Blogger breepeace said...

Write ME! I'm a tremendously good penpal -- just ask any of the people who haven't recieved a letter from me in years but yet who still send them to me in hopes I will one day soon, return the gesture.

Oh shit. Again, I said too much.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Fluffica said...

G-a-y

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home