Thursday, June 01, 2006

The last post of this blog. Ever.

LAST POST EVER!!!

My loyal readership (which has swelled to three or four):

The time has finally come to say goodbye to my blog. It has been the best of times and it has been the worst of times, but it has always been interesting (well, interesting so long as we are including in the definition of 'interesting' the tedious, the monotonous, or the irrelevant). So alas, this will be the final post from 'For Whom The Blog Tolls'; the last will and testament; the swan song; today the self-destruct button is being pushed.

In appreciation to the many years of great service this blog has rendered to me, I will conclude my last ever post with a farewell letter of sorts: a goodbye letter to my blog.

Dear blog,

Your metamorphosis from the kernel of an idea in my head to actual blog was, of course, precipitated by a long-forgotten flash of creativity and the newly created boredom due to the combination of summer break and unemployment. But my trusty friend, you have grown through the years to accompany me in times of curiosity, introspection and self inspection as well as tedium, repetition and apathy. Yet the slides in the movie reel of my memory are still, today, as colorful and rich as the multitude of flowers punctuating a blossoming springtime garden, and this is in some part to you. When I read over the words that you hold safe like a vault, my memory is triggered back to that moment in time. Even the random and inconsequential memories:

Spring 2008. Convocation from law school. That wasn't the random and inconsequential memory that I left to you oh blog. No. Instead I wrote how the next day, eating sushi with a friend, I sat back listening to the soundtrack of people and white noise inside of the restaurant. To all of the idle chatter, plates crashing, feet stomping, and cafe stereo systems playing American pop music with Lenny Kravitz playing, urging me to know that "yesterday is gone". And the feeling that swept over myself that while a large portion of my life was over, I had accomplished something special and for myself, significant.

Winter, 2007. Carbolic Smoke Ball proved to be one of the most enjoyable evenings of the year, for the second year in a row. Strangely though, this time my date didn't end up seeing her professor later in the semester. In this instance, history did not fully repeat itself, and that was a good thing.

Springtime 2009. Cheering in delirium my favourite hockey team, the Vancouver Canucks, onto a Stanley Cup win. Okay that one I made up. Those lovable losers, the Canucks, are still the exercise in futility they have always been. Some people were just intended to play the part, and for that reason, we still love them.

Every one of us has a scrapbook of such memories. At some point we learn, to our astonishment, that we aren't the center of the universe and that there is a world of knowledge that we haven't even begun to tap and there are experiences we haven't been introduced to. The first time I saw my favourite band in concert, reading 1984, seeing the mountains after being away from them for 4 months, gave me that sense of awe and wonder that can make you feel alive and lucky. And you, ever faithful blog, helped me document and remember such experiences; and reading the disjointed bits together seems to provide a sort of narrative of my life.
And that is your greatest strength dear blog: reflection. We as humans have great interest in ourselves, and reflection and introspection help us to learn more about our fundamental natures, purposes, and even essences. You are an aid in exercising this essential process that we as humans do.

Yet, all good things come to an end. Well, maybe not an end, but a long pause, or a substantial hibernation, or a ride off into the sunset never to be heard from again. We learn early on as babies that if something hurts, stop it. Same goes for something that isn't fun. And, currently, you aren't fun anymore. Interesting, time consuming, yes. But not fun. There are other things going on in the world that I'm missing out on, and they are beginning to take a higher priority. For me. Blog, your usefulness to me has become stagnant, and I am selfishly ending this relationship.
Do not be sad, for it was a great run. It had to end sometime.

No one can quite capture my feelings right now on ending this blog as much as the comments of Wilhelm II, Kaiser of Germany when making his farewell upon abdicating his throne:

"I herewith renounce for all time claims to the throne of Prussia and to the German Imperial throne connected therewith."

Wait. My mistake, wrong quote. Perhaps instead I meant Voltaire. Near the end of his life, Voltaire was advised to forswear Satan. He declined:

"This," he explained, "is no time to make new enemies!"

Much more fitting. So with the devil upon my shoulder, and a feeling of melancholy in my heart, I bid you adieu.



And so to bed.



(Actual date of post indeterminate).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home